3.28.2016

sketckbook thirteen - mined from my heart.

Source

"Mine your life for information."
- Flora Bowley

I heard a wonderful talk with Flora Bowley while she was being interview for Wild and Creative on youtube. They were discussing Flora's teaching process and how she teaches her students to look at their lives, what they are interested in, what their hobbies are, who they are as a person, and then use that info to create their own art.

As I have been debating my use of feathers in my art I have also been pondering what makes me, me.

What do I love?

What do I gravitate towards?

What images and marks can I add to my pieces that are truly pulled straight from my heart and soul?

It's no surprise to those that know me, that I love India. 

I am drawn to the spirituality, the colours, the people, the food, the ancient history. India has a piece of my heart and one day I will visit that land. I wanted to challenge myself and try something new in my sketchbook that I haven't attempted for a very long time. I wanted to create a portrait. Immediately I thought of a Yogi from India.

The piece above took me a few hours to complete and I really enjoyed the process. Faces have always been a challenge for me, however, I've realized that I don't need to create an identical portrait to what I see in the photograph. I can create this portrait however I want, as detailed as I want, and in whatever colours and mediums that I want.

I kept my colour palette simple, and as you can see, white was heavily prevalent :) I used lots of different mediums; acrylic, pastel, charcoal, pencil, spray paint, and india ink. I see some small tweakings that could take place, but for the most part I'm happy with it.

It's so funny how in my previous post I was pondering where feathers would take me, and here I went in a completely different direction :)

I started this piece on a black page, and I highly recommend you try this if you also suffer from 'fear of the blank canvas'. Instead of starting off in fear of getting it 'wrong', the black completely removes those thoughts and feelings and allows me to just being.

I'm popping over to pinterest to gather some inspiration :)

Namaste friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment